Total Pageviews

Saturday, May 5, 2012

WW1 Tiger Moth








Your basic instruments and cockpit lol

Takeoff.......as the pilot bends his head outside the cockpit to see the runway hahahha









Now I've done some wild things but this plane ride is up there near the top of unforgettable adventures. This time around i am in the Gold Coast of Australia and happened to see an Ad for a flight in the Bi-Plane or Tiger Moth ( they were built by the DeHavilland of England and ironically had a subsidiary in Canada) So being excited about this chance i sign the waiver and put on my leather helmet/goggles  (open cockpit) and away we go, or so i thought. Well i find out that the plane has no electrical system so its started by hand, then it is pushed out to the takeoff strip and finally the pilot sticks his head over the side to see the runway. Ok so now we are airborne and I'm taking in the view of Surfers Paradise and suddenly the pilot asks me ( through a tube coming up via the floor)  if I'm ready....ready for what i wonder? Well next thing i know we are doing aerobatics ( stalled on purpose, death spirals, barrel rolls, hammerhead's etc) and my first thought as I'm hanging upside down...this is an old plane, i wonder how new this safety harness is? We finally land and after i get my bearings the pilot asks me, do you know why i did those stunts over the ocean mate? No i said....well if i messed up, its only you and i  LOL LOL!!!  Next time i will make sure that i am reading the fine print to see what I'm getting myself into, but looking back how many people get an opportunity to feel what it was like to be an Ace Pilot during the beginnings of air combat.





No comments:

Post a Comment